When designing the accommodation our primary goal was to provide enough beds, at a reasonable rate, to help as many young shooters as possible during times of peak demand. We also had to consider that the accommodation would be a major source of revenue which would sustain the clubhouse in the long-term, and so a balance would need to be struck between keeping costs as low as possible for individual young shooters, whilst ensuring the long-term viability of the facility.
To achieve this we had to look at options which maximised ‘occupation density’ i.e. the number of beds per square meter … which inevitably meant we would have to adopt some sort of ‘dormitory’ option. However, we also wanted to provide a better standard of accommodation than already exists and provide better access to basic facilities, such as phone charging facilities. We also considered the privacy of members, and how to offer a ‘covid safe’ accommodation arrangement (or as much as is practical to achieve).
Clearly a standard dormitory with bunk beds would not meet all these criteria, so we decided upon a modern ‘capsule hotel’ design.
- Each capsule is designed to provide an individual space that is much more private than a standard bunkbed.
- Each pod will be individually insulated for better climate control, keeping them warm in winter and cool in summer. The insulation will also soundproof the pods from one another.
- Capsules will also have a larger footprint and be taller than a standard bunkbed, so that you can comfortably sit upright. This means if you are shooting at Bisley on a day when the usual social facilities are unavailable, or even if you just want to stay in and relax, you will be able to do so within the comfort of your own ‘mini hotel room’.
- Reading lights
- Power sockets
- A small lockable cupboard for valuables
- A curtain or screen so that you can completely shut out the rest of the accommodation for privacy
- Ethernet socket (so you can plug your tablet/laptop directly into the internet instead of having to rely on wifi)
Stay tuned for more updates … look forward to next week when we reveal the plans for the accommodation.
Please note, all images are for illustrative purposes only and do not necessarily represent the final design.